Do you realize that school starts on August 17th? Where the hell did the summer go? But more importantly, where did my babies go? Over past 2 1/2 months my "babies" have morphed into "kids". Case in point - I have spent several hours a week over the past 4 years sitting in hallways, waiting for one or both of my children to emerge from lessons. Why did I stay? Well, what if someone got hurt OR even worse - what if Angelina or Caroline had to pee & neglected to put down the toilet seat safeguard, sanitary sheet?!?! Oh the horror! But times are a changin' for me. I am happy (and maybe even a little sad) to report that last Tuesday, I dropped the girls off at gymnastics, ran to the grocery store, went home to unload & then returned to pick them up. What's even more shocking is that it wasn't my idea. Angelina overheard me complaining to Bob about having to grocery shop so late in the afternoon after gymnastics, so she suggested I go to the store while she & Caroline were in class. To Caroline's disappointment, I escorted them into the building & waited for them to enter class before leaving. Caroline actually requested that I drop them off at the curb! WTF?!?!
Thank God that amidst all of the change I have witnessed this summer, one thing has remained the same - both Angelina & Caroline continue to shock me with the things that come out of their mouths. Below are few recent quotes from the Princess.
* So, we were all in the pool yesterday when a bee came flying by Caroline. When Caroline started to panic & flail around, Angelina yelled, "Caroline ignore it, you know like we do Mommy & it will go away"! I know they don't listen to me all of the time, but I certainly didn't know that it was part of a "strategy"....
* Before bed last nite, I asked Angelina which boys from her kindergarten class she was hoping to see in her 1st grade class this year. Angelina answered, "Evan". She went onto explain, "Evan chased me a lot at recess. And when the boys didn't chase me, I would tell them to." When Angelina encountered a blank stare & awkward silence from me, she advised, "Well, you know, only because it's good exercise."
* A couple of weeks ago, while we were waiting to be seated at a restaurant, Angelina leaned over & told me, "Mom, Mom, I don't think I can hold it." A little irritated, I told her to calm down & pointed to the ladies room sign. That's when she snapped, "No, no, not that... I'm feeling the urge to turn into a cheetah & I don't think I can fight it."
* As you can tell from the photos I post, Angelina & I look nothing alike. Sometimes I think it bothers her that Caroline looks a lot like me. So the other day, as I was staring at Angelina, I noticed that she might actually have my nose. Thinking that such a similiarity would make her happy, I said, "Hey, Angelina, I think you might have Mommy's nose". Unfortunately, her response was, "Great, I am going to have a huge nose".
2 comments:
love the nose part of the story, we think its from Lizzie, she was the Indian, but since our link to you is through the Gibbs branch maybe it's a combo, anyway, I didn't get the nose, our son got his dads nose, but our daughter got the nose, she hates it, I tell she should be proud of it, its a legacy (she hasn't fallen for it in her 31 years. So about 6 or so years ago a cousin in our California tribe became suddenly ill and as the family is known to do several tribes flew into help support his mother and his wife, there was a large group of us in the hospital waiting room, a nurse came in and all heads naturally turned and it was a moment that set off a chain of laughter as the ones who had the nose happened to be sitting side by side so when their heads turned it was very evident that this was a family gathering, unfortunately it was before all cell phones had camera's would have been a great family picture, and the cousin who lay down the hall in a coma would have laughed the loudest, sadly we lost him a few days later at the young age of 40. We will have to get some profile pictures and see if it's the same nose. Connie
Do your children turn into big cats often?
Post a Comment